Manuel Ortega, chef at Napa Valley Grille in Los Angeles
For the crust:
- 1 envelope dry yeast
- 1cup warm water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 TBSP Olive Oil
- 2.5 cups AP flour
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- Add yeast to water and let bloom into a froth.
- Add the remaining ingredients and knead on floured table or in mixer with dough hook attachment ( low speed) adding flour if necessary to form a very elastic dough.
- Let dough double in volume, punch down and let rise again before cutting 3.5 oz pieces and rolling into flatbreads.
- Prebake these forms at 450 on both sides, preferably on a pizza stone or mark in a preheated grill and set aside
For the apple butter:
- Peel and core 2 Granny Smith apples
- Toss with a 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tsp cornstarch, 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1 TBSP butter
- Roast at 400 until tender and blend into a paste
- Top the prebaked flatbread with this apple mixture then add liberally 1/4 cup diced brie cheese and 1/4 cup goat cheese
- Return to oven until cheese is melted, and once out of the heat source, top with 4-5 Black Mission figs (quartered) and 2 TBSP orange blossom honey
Full story: Welcome fall with tasty, gourmet fig dishes