- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, washed and stems removed
- Olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Chili pepper flakes (optional, if you like heat)
- 6 slices no-salt added bread, crust removed and cut in half
- 6 fresh basil leaves, cut in chiffonade (ribbons)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place tomatoes in a high-sided oven pan and drizzle with 1 to 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the minced garlic, freshly ground black pepper, and chili pepper flakes. And give all of the ingredients a good mixing with your hand.
- On a separate sheet pan, lay out the twelve pieces of bread in a single layer. Then put both sheet pans into the oven and cook for 15 minutes.
- When the bread is toasted, take it out of the oven and set it aside. Leave the tomatoes in the oven and set your timer for another 15 minutes. Then remove the tomatoes from the oven as well.
- At this point, you have a few options -- isn't that exciting! First, use the tomatoes just as they are, juicy and ready to spread. Or, give the tomatoes a quick pulse in a food processor or blender for a smoother texture.
- Then, simply spread your tomatoes -- whole or blended -- onto one of the no-salt toasts, sprinkle some fresh basil on top, and enjoy. And feel free to serve the bruschetta straight from the oven (warm) or refrigerator (cold).
Don't throw away those scraps! Put the crusts on the baking sheet with the rest of the bread. Give it a quick coat of cooking spray or a drizzle of olive oil and then sprinkle with freshly ground pepper, a bit of cayenne, dried dill, toasted garlic, or any other spices that sound good to your palate. Bake for 15 minutes and then serve as a salt-free alternative to breadsticks!