- Parchment paper
- 12 Medjool dates (0mg sodium)
- 1/4 cup low-sodium ricotta cheese (24mg sodium per 1/4 cup)
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 12 fresh sage leaves
- 1 tbsp all-spice
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of chili powder
- 2 tbsp honey
- 6, 1/8-inch thick slices of pork loin (around 40mg sodium per 1/4 lb)
*Remember to use spices designated as "salt-free"
Bonus Low-Sodium Tip:
Because you need incredibly thin pieces of pork for this dish, it is best to buy the meat directly from a butcher with a meat slicer. And don't be afraid to explain to them what you are doing. They'll be so impressed by your salt-free take on this classic prosciutto dish that they'll be happy to help. And if your pork pieces still seem too thick, go ahead and take a meat hammer to them to thin things out.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice all the dates open, lengthwise, and remove the pit. In a small bowl, mix the ricotta with the chopped thyme and rosemary. And with your fingers, fill each date with about a teaspoon of the mixture, or whatever you can comfortably fit inside. Close the date and cover the seam with a sage leaf. Set them all aside.
- In another small bowl, mix the Allspice, cinnamon, ground black pepper, and chili powder. And pour the honey into a separate bowl as well. Lay the pork slices out on a plate or cutting board and cut each, lengthwise, in half or in thirds so that you have 1-inch wide pork "belts" to go around your dates.
- Then with a spoon or your hand, cover the topside of each pork slice with honey. Sprinkle them with the spice mixture and use your fingers or the spoon to spread it evenly on each slice. Flip all the pork slices over. Starting at one end of the slice, wrap the date in the pork and secure with a toothpick. Place the wrapped date on the parchment-lined pan and repeat until all the dates are covered.
- Place the pork in the oven and bake until meat is cooked, 10 minutes. Remove and serve immediately.