Not So Fried Chicken Sandwich Recipe
- Roasted chicken breast (suggestion below)
- Tempura "krispies" (recipe below)
- Pickled red onion (recipe below)
- Whole grain mustard slaw (recipe below)
- Herb aioli (recipe below)
- Rustic white or some other artisan bread
Roasted chicken breast
- Get 2 slices of artisan bread, preferably something that has a nice crust and is super soft and fluffy in the middle.
- Spread a thin layer of herb aioli on top and bottom of the bread.
- Put a layer of tempura "krispies" on one side of the bread.
- Layer slices of chicken on top of the "krispies."
- Add a few more pieces of "krispies" on top of the chicken.
- Put a thick layer of pickled red onions on top of the chicken.
- Layer a few slices of tomatoes on top of the pickled onions.
- Top with a small handful of coleslaw and top with the top slice of bread.
- This can be made in many different ways. The easiest thing to do would be to simply buy rotisserie chicken and slice some of the breast meat for the sandwiches.
- 1 cup tempura batter mix (can be found in any Asian grocery store and some regular grocery stores)
- ¾ cup ice cold water (or slightly more, if needed)
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground cayenne
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- 2 Tbs chopped parsley
- 2 Tbs grated parmesan cheese
- 8 cups canola oil for frying
Pickled red onions
- In a medium-large pan heat up oil to 375°.
- In a bowl combine water, salt, cayenne, garlic powder, onion powder, parsley, and parmesan.
- Sprinkle in tempura batter mix while whisking slowly.
- Whisk until batter is incorporated, but not too much because some lumps are good. It should be the thickness of a thin pancake batter.
- Sprinkle in some of the batter into the hot oil.
- Cook for about 2 minutes until it starts to get light golden brown.
- Remove from oil and drain well. Repeat with the remainder of batter.
- Set aside. Drain oil and reuse.
- ½ red onion, peeled and sliced thin lengthwise
- 1 cup seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 4 tbs sugar
Whole Grain Mustard Dressing
(Yields about 1 cup)
- Combine all the ingredients together in a jar, close well and shake vigorously.
- Let sit for at least one hour, up to a few days before using.
- ½ bunch cilantro, torn in half, largest stems discarded
- ½ bunch parsley, stems discarded
- Juice of ½ lime
- 1 garlic clove (small)
- 3 tbs red wine vinegar
- 2 tbs whole grain mustard
- 2 tsp agave nectar or honey
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup canola oil
- In a food processor, add all the ingredients except the oil.
- Start blending and slowly add the oil until dressing is well blended and emulsified.
- Use some of the dressing for the coleslaw as well as the herb aioli. The remaining can be used as a dressing to dress any salad.
- 8 oz package of raw coleslaw cabbage mix
- 2 tbs whole grain mustard dressing
Full story: Super Bowl spread takes healthy, tasty spin
More: Barbecue Sloppy Faux Recipe
- Mix ingredients together.
Most Viewed Stories
Most Viewed Photos