Barbecue Sloppy Faux Recipe
- Barbecued Seitan with Pinto Beans (recipe below)
- Romaine lettuce
- Pickled red onions (recipe below)
- Candied jalapenos (recipe below)
Barbecued seitan with pinto beans
- Lightly toast a roll.
- On the bottom, add a layer of vegenaise.
- Put a about 1 cup of barbecued seitan and beans on the vegenaise.
- Top with some pickled red onions, candied jalapenos, tomato slices, avocado slices, and some shredded romaine.
- 8 oz package of Healthy Times Seitan (available at Whole Foods)
- 1 cup pinto beans, cooked (if using canned beans, rinse and drain well)
- 3/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 4 tbs water
Pickled red onions
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Shave or slice seitan very thin.
- Combine all ingredients together in a roasting pan and braise with a lid for about 30-45 minutes until seitan is dark brown in color and absorbed all the sauce, but not burnt.
- Check every 10 minutes to mix.
- ½ red onion, peeled and sliced thin lengthwise
- 1 cup seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 4 tbs sugar
- Combine all the ingredients together in a jar, close well and shake vigorously.
- Let sit for at least one hour, up to a few days before using.
- 13 Jalopenos
- ¾ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp celery seed
- ¼ tsp mustard seed
- ½ tsp cayenne
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
Full story: Super Bowl spread takes healthy, tasty spin
More: Not So Fried Chicken Sandwich Recipe
- Remove stems from jalapenos and slice into rounds. Set aside in a bowl.
- Bring vinegar, sugar, and spices to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add sliced jalapenos and let it simmer for exactly 4 minutes.
- Remove jalapenos and continue to boil syrup for another 5 minutes.
- Add syrup to jalapenos.
- Cool before putting on sandwiches.
Most Viewed Stories
Most Viewed Photos