John-Carlos Kuramoto, executive chef of Michael's Santa Monica
- 6 ea jidori chicken wings
- ½ G of Canola Oil (for deep-frying)
- ½ C Maple Syrup, Grade A Pure Maple Syrup
- Chile Salt (4 Chile Arbols, 1 C Kosher Salt - Toast the chile arbols in a pan until fragrant, mix with the salt and grind in a blender, strain through a fine mesh strainer)
- Tempura Batter (1 C corn starch, 1 C ap flour, 1 ½ C Sparkling water [Ice cold])
- In a bowl, add tempura batter to chicken wings. Coat well.
- Deep-fry at 350 degrees, for 6 minutes or until golden brown and wings float to the top of the oil.
- Transfer wings to a metal bowl.
- Add maple syrup to coat.
- Add chile salt.
- Taste and adjust seasonings upon preference.
Full story: Ideas for a picture-perfect Oscar party