- 2 lbs. chuck steak (stewing beef, pref grass fed) - cut 1" dice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 bouquet garni (parsley, thyme, bayleaf)
- 1 garlic clove - peeled
- 1 medium white onion - thinly sliced
- 2 carrots - peeled and cut into 1/4 slice
- 1/2 lb. mushrooms - sliced
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 cup Guinness
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat saute pan on med-high heat.
- Season flour with salt and pepper, coat the beef shaking off excess.
- Saute the beef in 3 batches adding 1 tbsp. oil each time. Once beef is browned, set aside.
- Using same pan, add onion and carrots and garlic, saute for 3 mins. Add mushrooms and continue to saute for an additional minute. Add in tomato paste and stir constantly for 1 minute. Pour in 1 cup Guinness and scrape all carmelized bits from bottom of pan.
- Add beef and veg mix together into large stockpot along with herbs and remaining liquid. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer.
- Cover and cook for 1½ hours approx. It's ready to go when the beef is fork tender.
- Serve with soda bread and a good pint o' Guinness. Slainte!
Full story: St. Patrick's Day meals that are tasty, healthy