Yields: 1 loaf
- 2 cups all-purpose flour - sifted
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 450° degrees
- Combine the flours, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly. Make a well in the center of mixture. Add buttermilk to flour mixture; mix with your hands until blended (dough will be sticky). Turn dough out onto a generously floured surface. Knead lightly 4 to 5 times. Shape dough into an 8-inch round loaf; place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 450° for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 400 and continue to bake for another 15 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom. Cool on a wire rack.
Full story: St. Patrick's Day meals that are tasty, healthy