- 1 medium white onion - sliced
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 green cabbage/Savoy cabbage - cored and roughly sliced
- 1 1/2 lbs. white potatoes (yukon gold) - chopped in small chunks
- 1 quart (4 cups) vegetable / chicken broth
- 2 springs of thyme
- olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- In medium hot soup pot, saute the onions for 3-4 mins in 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Add in chopped garlic and cabbage. Stir and cover for 8-9 mins. or until cabbage begins to soften. You don't want too much color on the onions as they'll give the soup a dark color when finished.
- Once softened, add chopped potatoes and thyme and mix everything together for about 2 minutes.
- Add 2 cups broth, bring to a boil and reduce to simmer for about 20 mins or until potatoes are cooked. Once ready, begin to blend in batches.(TIP: Don't over-fill the blender as hot liquid expands. It won't be pretty!)
- Add 2 more cups broth to batches while blending. Return blended soup to clean pot, taste and season.
Full story: St. Patrick's Day meals that are tasty, healthy