Ingredients for Gazpacho
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup roughly chopped red onion
- ½ cup roughly chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ cup freshly roasted red bell pepper (canned or jarred optional)
- 2 cups canned plum tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup roasted yellow bell pepper, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup roasted green Anaheim chiles, roughly chopped
- ½ cup oven-dried tomatoes, cut into thirds
- ½ cup peeled and roughly chopped cucumber
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
Ingredients for Bread Cubes
- 2 cups cubed rustic bread (1-inch cubes)
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Ingredients for Saffron Sour Cream
- ¼ cup sour cream (low fat may be used)
- 1 teaspoon saffron water
- Pinch of kosher salt
- First, prepare the gazpacho. In a medium pot over medium heat, add the olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add the red onion, celery and garlic. Cook until slightly golden and soft, about 3 minutes. Add the paprika and stir briefly to toast the spice. Add the roasted red bell pepper, plum tomatoes, and water and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat to low, cover the pot, and cook for 15 minutes. Allow to cool slightly. Transfer to a food processor and puree until slightly chunky.
- Pour the puree into a large bowl. Once the puree is cool, stir in the yellow bell pepper, Anaheim chile, oven-dried tomatoes, cucumber and salt. Refrigerate until very cold.
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF
- To prepare the croutons, in a bowl, toss the bread cubes with the smoked paprika, salt, garlic, and olive oil. Spread on a sheet pan and toast until golden and crispy, about 2 minutes per side. Set aside to cool.
- Next, prepare the saffron sour cream. Pour the sour cream into a small bowl. Stir in the saffron water and salt. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Ten minutes before serving, put 3 croutons in each bowl of soup so they start to absorb the soup and soften. They will be crispy and chewy on top and soft on the bottom. Place spoonfuls of the sour cream on top.
"Cold and soup are not two words you'd normally put together, unless you're talking about classic Spanish gazpacho. Gazpacho brings the freshest vegetables together in a refreshing soup to cool you down on a hot day. The smoked paprika in the bread cubes accentuates the bell peppers and tops off the sour cream with color and depth of flavor," said Saad.
Full story: Spice up your diet with flavorful meals