- One 10- to 12- ounce New York strip steak or steak of your choice (1 inch thick)
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper Canola oil
- 2 tablespoons harissa
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup red onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh mint
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 4 sandwich rolls
- 1 medium yellow tomato, sliced into ╝ -inch slices
- 2 cups arugula leaves, washed and spun dry
- Season the steak with the salt and pepper. Rub 1 tablespoon harissa on each side of the steak.
- Rub a grill with canola oil and turn the grill to medium- high. Grill the steak for about 3 minutes. Flip it over and cook for another 3 minutes. This will yield a medium- rare steak, depending on the thickness of the meat. Adjust the timing for the desired doneness and the thickness of the steak. Set aside for at least 10 minutes to allow the juices to reabsorb.
- In a small sautÚ pan over medium heat, add the olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add the onions, mint and garlic. Cook for 30 seconds, just until you can smell the perfume of the garlic and the onions and mint start to soften. (If the mint and garlic brown, they yield a less subtle, toasted flavor.) Add the sun- dried tomatoes and a pinch of salt. Turn off the heat and stir. Remove the mixture to a medium bowl. Extract the onions to a plate.
- Stir the mayonnaise into the sun- dried tomato mixture. The warm mixture will immediately permeate the mayonnaise with flavor and give it a beautiful color. Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon harissa and mix well.
- Grill or toast the rolls, if you like. Spread the flavored mayonnaise on both sides of the rolls. Slice the steak at a 45- degree angle into 1/3- inch- thick slices and lay them across the rolls. Top with reserved onions, the sliced yellow tomatoes and the arugula. Serve immediately.
Full story: Spice up your diet with flavorful meals