Recipe from the Denise Vivaldo Group
Makes 4 servings
Toast the pumpkin seeds to garnish this delicious soup. Simply remove any bits of pumpkin, then place seeds on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Toast in a 325 degree F oven until lightly golden and crisp, about 10 minutes.
You can use any winter squash with this recipe: butternut, acorn or banana squash all work deliciously.
- 3 cups sugar pumpkin, seeded and cut into large chunks
- 2 medium apples (Gala, Fuji or Pink Lady), cored and cut into quarters
- 1 medium yellow onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage leaves
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups low-fat milk, hot
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Place butternut squash, apples, onion, thyme, sage, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Drizzle olive oil over the top, tossing to coat.
- Place mixture on prepared baking sheet and roast for 45-60 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes. Peel skin from pumpkin and discard. Placing pumpkin flesh, onion and apples in the work bowl of a food processor and blending until smooth. Add almond milk and pulse until desired consistency is reached.
- Serve hot.
Full story: Pumpkin dishes that go beyond just pie
Recipe: Pumpkin Parmesan Popovers
Recipe: Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Pie Cookies