Recipe from registered dietitian Tracey Burg
- 1 1/2 lbs. red or green Swiss chard
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp. fresh ginger root, minced
- 2 tbsp. water (or more if needed)
- 1 tsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped and toasted
- (To toast walnuts: heat walnuts in a dry pan over medium heat until
slightly browned with a nutty aroma. Remove from heat.)
- Wash the chard and strip the leaves off the stalks.
- Coarsely chop the greens.
- In a large skillet or stockpot with a lid, heat oil over medium heat. Sauté
garlic and ginger and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add greens and stir to coat with oil. Add 2 Tbsp. water, cover, and cook
until greens are wilted and soft, about 5 min. Add more water if necessary.
- Season with the soy sauce and pepper.
- Sprinkle with toasted walnuts.
Nutritional information per 1/2 cup serving:
- Calories: 65
- Protein: 5g
- Fat: 7g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sat. fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Carbohydrate: 0g
- Sodium: 204mg
Full story: Good and good for you: healthy holiday meals
Recipe: Roasted Acorn Squash Recipe
Recipe: Roast Pork Loin with Apple Cider Sauce
Recipe: Parmesan Brown Rice Pilaf