Recipe from Akasha Restaurant in Culver City
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose unbleached flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup hemp or almond milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange rind
- 1 1/2 cups grated Brussels sprouts - finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup ground pecans, or finley chopped nuts
- Begin making the cake by preheating the oven to 350°F. Spray an 8X8-inch square baking pan or 8-inch round pan with cooking spray. Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg into a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the sugar and oil together. Whisk in the hemp milk, vanilla and orange rind until emulsifies. Add liquid ingredients to dry ones with a rubber spatula, stirring enough to blend. Fold in the Brussels sprouts, chocolate, coconut and nuts, mixing only until combined.
- Transfer batter into prepared pan, smoothing to edges. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until springy to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool cake on a wire rack until room temperature.
- Great with cream cheese icing or dust with powdered sugar.
Full story: Veggie desserts offer tasty, healthier alternative