Recipe by Chef Ashley James of Four Seasons Hotel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups hot milk
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch nutmeg
- 12 ounces Gruyere, grated (5 cups)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 16 slices white sandwich bread
- Dijon mustard
- 8 ounces baked Virginia ham, sliced but not paper thin
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Melt the butter over low heat in a small saucepan and add the flour all at once, stirring with a spoon for 2 minutes. Slowly pour in the hot milk into the butter-flour mixture and cook, whisking constantly, until the sauce is thickened. Off the heat add the salt, pepper, nutmeg, 1/2 cup grated Gruyere, and the Parmesan and set aside.
- Spread the bread with the white sauce and make a sandwich with the ham and the cheese, add more white sauce on the top of the sandwich, sprinkle with more grated cheese.
- Bake in the oven at 400 degrees F for 10-15 minutes until golden brown.
Full story: Red-carpet-worthy Oscar night party tips