Recipe by Chef Larry Nicola of Nic's Beverly Hills
Yields: 8 servings
- 6 oz. Bacon (˝ in pieces)
- 1 Large Onion (sliced)
- 1 Head Red Cabbage (halved, cored and cut lengthwise in ˝ in thick slices
- ˝ Cup Cider Vinegar
- 1 12 oz. Dark Beer
- 2 tbsp. Brown Sugar
- 2 Pippen Apple (Cored and Cubed)
- Sour Cream
- Sauté bacon in pot under medium heat, stirring occasionally, until fat renders.
- Now add chopped onions and cook, stirring until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add cabbage, vinegar, beer, apples, brown sugar and stir to combine.
- Raise heat to medium-high, cover and cook 5 minutes and let liquids slightly reduce.
- Reduce heat to low and continue to cook, covered, stirring occasionally for 25 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
- For service, top with a big dollop of sour cream and watch it melt.
Note:This is great with slow-cooked meats like short ribs, lamb shank and turkey.
Full story: How to cook tasty broccoli, Brussels sprouts