Recipe by Chef Larry Nicola of Nic's Beverly Hills
Yields: 4 servings
- 1 bunch Broccolini (You can also use Rapini or Broccoli Rabe)
- 4 cups Water
- 4 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 tbsp. Chopped Parsley
- ½ tsp. Cumin Seed
- 1 tbsp. Lemon Juice
- 6 oz. Cotija Cheese
- 1 tsp. Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 tsp. Seasoned Rice Vinegar
- ¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 sprigs Cilantro (chopped)
- Rinse Broccolini and place in boiling salted water. Let cook, about 3 minutes, or until bright green but still firm. Place in cold or ice water to shock. Dry and set aside.
- Roast cumin seeds in oven for 25 minutes or until crisp. Let cool and crush. Set aside.
- Marinade: In bowl, mix chopped garlic, parsley, olive oil, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Vinaigrette: Place crushed cumin, lemon juice and Cotija in mixing bowl and begin to whip. Add red wine vinegar and seasoned rice vinegar and blend. Add extra virgin olive oil slowly while constantly whipping. Add chopped cilantro. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Drizzle marinade on broccoli and grill or sauté in very hot pan. Just cook enough to get char marks or sear. Salt and pepper to taste. Place prepared broccoli in serving bowl and dress with Cotija Vinaigrette.
Note: This can be served hot or cold. It is a great side dish to meatloaf, fish or a vegetarian entree.
Full story: How to cook tasty broccoli, Brussels sprouts