Recipe by Culinary Bliss LA
- 3 lemons, divided
- 4 globe artichokes
- 3/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 lemon halved
- 1 lemon cut into slices
Garlicky Herb Breadcrumbs:
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup Panko (Japanese breadcrumbs, available in most supermarkets)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh herbs of choice (a combo of Italian parsley and basil is one of my favorites)
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
Chili Lime Aioli:
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- zest and juice from 1/2 lime
- 2 teaspoons chopped scallions
- pinch sea salt
- Chili Lime Aioli: Combine all ingredients. Serve at room temperature. Chili Lime Aioli can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- Artichokes: Combine the broth, the wine and the vinegar in the slow cooker pot.
- Rinse the artichokes well. Working with one at a time, trim the stem end so the artichoke stands flat. Pull off and discard any tough outer leaves near the base. Cut about 1/2 inch off the top of the artichoke, and use a kitchen scissors to trim about half an inch off the top of each leaf. Rub the base and top of the artichoke with the lemon half, and pull the leaves open to hold the filling. Place the artichoke into the slow cooker, stem side down. Repeat with remaining artichokes.
- Sprinkle the garlic and sea salt onto the artichokes, and spoon some of the liquid over each choke. Place a lemon slice on top of each lemon. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours.
- Garlicky Herb Breadcrumbs: While the artichokes are cooking, prepare the Garlicky Breadcrumbs. Heat the butter or olive oil in a small skillet over medium high heat. Add the garlic, and cook for about a minute. Add the breadcrumbs, herbs and salt. Cook, stirring, until the breadcrumbs are toasted and dark golden brown. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the parmesan cheese. Set the breadcrumbs aside until the artichokes are cooked.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the artichokes to a serving platter. Scatter the breadcrumbs on top of the artichokes, and serve with the Chili Lime Sauce on the side.
Full story: Healthy, simple slow cooker meals for summertime