Recipe from: Clean Eating for Busy Families: Get Meals on the Table in Minutes with Simple and Satisfying Whole-Foods Recipes You and Your Kids Will Love, by Michelle Dudash, RD (Fair Winds Press, December 2012)
If you don't feel like using the grill, cook the shrimp and marinade in a loosely covered skillet over medium heat, reducing heat as needed. You'll know a mango is ripe when it yields slightly to a gentle squeeze.
Total Prep and Cook Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Yield: 4 servings, 2 tacos each (with 8 shrimp and 1/3 cup [83 g] salsa)
Per serving: 249 calories; 6 g total fat; 1 g saturated fat; 18 g protein; 32 g carbohydrate; 5 g dietary fiber; 137 mg cholesterol.
Ingredients for shrimp
- 1 pound (455 g) peeled and deveined large shrimp (21/25 count), tails removed
- 1/4 cup (4 g) chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons (28 ml) lime juice
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) expeller-pressed grapeseed or canola oil
- 2 teaspoons (6 g) minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 long grill skewers (if using wooden skewers, presoak in water 10 minutes)
Ingredients for salsa
To make the shrimp:
- 1 mango, diced (about 1 cup, or 175 g)
- 3/4 cup (113 g) chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons (2 g) chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons (13 g) thinly sliced scallions
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon minced jalapeno (add more to make it spicier)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/ 8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 8 corn or small whole-grain flour tortillas
- Extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling
To make the salsa:
- Preheat grill on medium-high heat (400°F, 200°C, or gas mark 6).
- In a medium bowl, mix shrimp with cilantro, lime juice, oil, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Toss the shrimp with 1 tablespoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper and sugar.
- Stand 2 skewers up on the counter, 1/2 inch (1.3 cm) apart with sharp sides pointing up, and thread on the shrimp, pushing them all the way down to 1 inch (2.5 cm) from base of skewers.
- Repeat until all the shrimp are skewered, being careful to leave small spaces between each. Place shrimp skewers on a sheet pan, cover with plastic wrap, and chill to marinate at least 15 minutes, or up to 4 hours.
- Oil the grill and place shrimp on the grate. Close the lid and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until shrimp are opaque almost halfway through.
- Turn skewers over to cook the shrimp through, another 2 to 3 minutes. Remove shrimp from skewers.
- Heat tortillas on the grill or in a microwave until hot, about 30 seconds.
- Fill tortillas with shrimp and salsa and drizzle with oil.
- Stir together mango, bell pepper, cilantro, scallions, lime juice, garlic, jalapeno, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper.
To save time, pulse the salsa ingredients separately in a food processor to chop and then combine in a bowl.
Full story: BBQ tips for a tasty, healthy 4th of July celebration