Recipe from NutriFit
Serving size: 5 oz.
- 1-1/4 lb. frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 tsp. summer savory
- 1/4 tsp. tarragon
- 1/4 tsp. basil
- 1/4 tsp. fennel seed
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 cup fat free, reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp. cornstarch
- 3/4 cup water, plus 1 tbsp.
- 6 oz. reduced fat cream cheese with garlic and spices
- Fresh parsley, chopped for garnish
- Wash the chicken and pat dry. Season chicken with spices, and brown in a hot, nonstick skillet.
- To make the sauce: Bring the white wine, broth and cornstarch to a boil; reduce heat and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the cream cheese spread and cook until the mixture is thoroughly blended, stirring constantly. Add the chicken and the parsley, and cook until chicken is cooked through.
Cost Breakdown of Ingredients
- 1-1/4 lb. frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts - $1.24
- spices (summer savory, tarragon, basil, fennel seed) - $0.25
- 1/4 cup dry white wine - $0.50
- 3/4 cup fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth - $0.50
- 1/2 tsp. cornstarch - $0.25
- 3/4 cup water, plus 1 tbsp. - n/a
- 6 oz. reduced-fat cream cheese with garlic and spices - $2.99
- fresh parsley, chopped for garnish - $0.25
Total cost per recipe: $5.98
Cost per serving: $1.50
Full story: Families on budget: Cook once, eat thrice