Recipe by Debbie Adler, author of Sweet Debbie's Organic Treats: Allergy-free & Vegan Recipes from the Famous Los Angeles Bakery, www.sweetdebbiesorganiccupcakes.com
Makes 16 bars
- 1¾ cups rolled oats
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil
- 6 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- Sheet of parchment paper slightly larger than 8 x 8 inches
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line an 8 x 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper, with a little extra over the sides.
- Mix together the oats, flour and salt in a large bowl.
- Microwave the coconut oil and syrup in a measuring cup for 20 seconds and stir to combine. Pour the coconut oil mixture into the oat mixture. Fold in the dried cranberries.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and smooth it into the corners and on top with a wet baking spatula to cover the pan evenly.
- Bake for 24-25 minutes, or until the oats are a light golden brown. Rotate the pan from front to back halfway through baking.
- Remove the pan from the oven to a wire rack and let sit for about 15 minutes before putting in the freezer for at least 1 hour.
- Transfer the parchment paper to a cutting board and cut into 16 bars.
- Wrap each bar individually in parchment paper or bakery tissue paper, place in sealable plastic bag and keep frozen until ready to pack or eat.
Full story: Halloween treats for kids with food allergies