Recipe from 9-year-old Sean Reichbach
California winner of the Healthy Lunchtime Challenge, sponsored by the White House
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 1 large potato
- 2 roma tomatoes
- 1 medium size red onion
- 1 1/2 cups peeled baby carrots
- 1 cup capellini pasta halved (or you can use whole wheat pasta or soup size pasta)
- 4 cups organic low-salt chicken broth
- 1 lb white meat chicken breast (no bone, no fat)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp chili pepper power (to taste)
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- Dice bell peppers, potatoes, tomatoes, carrots and onions.
- Heat olive oil in large soup pot and add onions, bell peppers, carrots and potatoes - stir, add tomatoes - season all with salt and pepper. Cook vegetables thoroughly while stirring often.
- Chop chicken into small squares and season with a little salt and pepper. Add to pot with vegetables.
- While chicken is cooking, add chili pepper - not too spicey! Add a little more ground black pepper too.
- When chicken is cooked through, add broth, bring to boil. Add pasta. Bring all to boil then lower to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve with whole wheat bread, glass of milk and add a tasty fruit of choice for dessert - for a healthy and hearty lunchtime meal!