Recipe courtesy of Spork Foods
The recipe requires advanced preparation and yields 13 to 15 truffles.
- 1 1/2 cups vegan dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup regular coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 6 leaves fresh mint, finely chopped
- Dash sea salt
- 2 tablespoons organic cocoa powder, plus 1/4 cup for rolling
- Fill a small (2-quart) pot with about 2 inches of water, and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Place a glass or metal bowl on top of pot to create a double boiler.
- Add chocolate chips and melt, about 3-4 minutes. Add coconut milk, peppermint extract, mint, sea salt and 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, and incorporate until uniform.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl and refrigerate 2 hours to overnight. Remove from refrigerator and leave bowl on counter for 5-10 minutes to soften mixture before rolling truffles.
- To roll truffles: Place remaining cocoa powder in a shallow bowl or plate. Use a melon baller or spoon to scoop a gumball-size dollop of the chocolate mixture. Roll into balls between palms and immediately coat in cocoa powder, or other toppings of choice.
- Try using mint varieties like chocolate mint, peppermint or spearmint for a different flavor in these truffles, and choose organic when possible, because conventionally grown mint is sprayed with a bunch of pesticides!
- Double check your chocolate chip ingredients if you are gluten-free, to be sure barley is not in the list.