'Pink slime' lawsuit: BPI meat company sues ABC News for defamation
DAKOTA DUNES, S.D. (KABC) -- The South Dakota meat company linked to the filler known as "pink slime" filed a defamation lawsuit on Thursday against ABC News.
Earlier this year, Beef Products Inc. was in the headlines after critics worried about the way the meat is processed with a small amount of ammonia to kill bacteria. The filler has been used for years and meets federal food safety standards.
The lawsuit alleges that the network misled consumers to believe the product is unhealthy and unsafe. Company officials are blaming the closure of three plants and about 700 layoffs on what they view as a smear campaign. They said the company lost 80 percent of its business in 28 days.
The meat processor is seeking $1.2 billion in damages for roughly 200 "false and misleading and defamatory" statements about the product officially known as lean, finely textured beef, the company's attorney said.
Jeffrey Schneider, Senior Vice President of ABC News, said the "lawsuit is without merit" and that the network "will contest it vigorously."
After a flurry of news reports earlier this year, several national grocery chains publicly vowed to discontinue selling beef containing the product. In early April, the U.S. Department of Agriculture approved requests by BPI and others that they be allowed to label products containing the filler.
ABC News and The Associated Press contributed to this report.
food, national news
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center 19 min ago
- Brush fire burning near Gorman by Quail Lake
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- Malaysia plane disappearance deliberate?
- OC 'flasher' suspect captured in San Diego
- Man who hoarded snakes in OC home charged
- Perris pastor arrested for rape of minor
- Woman, horse rescued at Angeles Nat'l Forest
- CA couple allegedly left child in car to gamble
- Pistorius photographed in bloodied prosthetics
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Crimea vote won't be recognized by US - Kerry
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)