Los Angeles News
Refuge from Skid Row running out of money
SYLMAR, Calif. (KABC) -- Hope Gardens Family Center is dedicated to getting women and children off the streets of Skid Row. The center is in danger of closing. The center says if it doesn't get money fast, dozens of people in need will be forced to move out.
It's a study in contrasts: From the squalor of Skid Row, to a peaceful setting in Sylmar. Two vastly different environments, especially when it comes to raising children.
"Drug sales, people just doing drugs right there on the street in front of the children," said Brandi Eden, a resident of Hope Gardens.
Eden and her daughter lived on Skid Row for four months. But for the past nine months, they've been living at Hope Gardens Family Center.
"It's given me hope," said Eden. "I know that I can make it and I can move on, and I have all the support here."
"To me, this is like a resort," said Vanessa Ramirez, another resident. "It's beautiful here. Children love it here. It's clean here."
A total of 34 single mothers and 70 children live in the former retirement community in the foothills of Sylmar. The Union Rescue Mission owns and operates the facility that opened its doors in 2007.
"When the kids come out here, they can play and run and ride their bikes," said Andy Bales, chief executive officer of the Union Rescue Mission.
Bales says Hope Gardens needs help.
"We just wanted to sound the alarm and say, 'Please help us. We need help to keep women and children safe in L.A.'"
Officials with the Union Rescue Mission say they have seen a 40-percent rise in people who need the mission's help, but they've seen a 20-percent drop in donations. Bales says that kind of math just doesn't add up.
"We need $2.8 million, and I can say we've raised $468,000," said Bales.
If the Union Rescue Mission is not able raise the $4 million it needs to keep Hope Gardens open, it might be forced to send some of the families back to the mission on Skid Row.
downtown, san fernando valley, los angeles news, robert holguin
- Reseda shooting injures 2 on Canby Avenue 1 min ago
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE 23 min ago
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Indio High students, faculty tested for TB
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Calif. jobless rate continues positive trend
- Helicopter gunships used in MX resort battle
- abcnews: One of Van Gogh's last paintings unveiled
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Understanding symbols on plastic containers
- Bejo's 'Past' character sometimes unlikeable
- OTRC: Beyonce kisses Madonna's daughter (Photo)
- Latest weather with Dallas Raines
41 min ago