Los Angeles News
'Clark Rockefeller' impostor pleads not guilty to San Marino murder
ALHAMBRA, Calif. (KABC) -- The German immigrant, who masqueraded as a member of the famous Rockefeller family, appeared in an Alhambra court to face a murder charge Friday morning.
The suspect took on the identity of a fictitious Clark Rockefeller. However, his real name is Christian Karl Gerhartsreiter.
Gerhartsreiter is accused of murdering his San Marino landlord, Jonathan Sohus, 25 years ago. Sohus, along with his wife Linda, disappeared in 1985.
Gerhartsreiter left town soon after they vanished. Sohus' body was found 10 years later, his wife is still missing.
Prosecutors did not bring charges against Gerhartsreiter until March, after he had been convicted in a Massachusetts kidnapping case of his 7-year-old daughter.
Gerhartsreiter pleaded not guilty to the charges Friday. Outside court, Gerhartsreiter's Boston lawyer, Jeffrey Denner, acknowledged it was unusual to have charges brought after such a long time, but said "old case, new case, he didn't do it."
The judge ordered Gerhartsreiter to return to court Aug. 16 for a preliminary hearing. He is being held without bail.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
fraud, court case, murder, los angeles news
- Southern California heat expected to die down 24 min ago
- 4 stabbed at Fullerton bar; suspects sought
- IE pastor accused of paying boys for sex acts
- Malaysia asks countries for data to find jet
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Santa Ana crash leaves man critically injured
- Burbank man arrested in stabbing attack
- Some CA cities seek water independence
- abcnews: US travel advice from other countries
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession
- 16 killed in stampedes for jobs in Nigeria
- 2 Chile earthquakes shake Pacific shoreline
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' top box office
- Photos: Billboard's 25 highest-paid musicians
- Latest weather with Danny Romero
24 min ago