Shark kills British man honeymooning in Seychelles
ANSE LAZIO, Seychelles (KABC) -- A shark attack at one of the world's most beautiful beaches ended in tragedy for a British couple on their honeymoon.
Ian Redmond, 30, and his new bride Gemma Houghton, 27, were honeymooning in Anse Lazio, a beach in the north of Praslin Island, Seychelles.
Houghton was sunbathing on the beach and Redmond snorkeling in the crystal blue waters when she heard his frantic cries for help.
Witness pulled him to shore, but it was too late. In an instant, Houghton went from new wife to young widow.
Authorities believe it was a bull shark that attacked Redmond, possibly the same animal that killed a French tourist on the beach just two weeks ago.
The deaths are the first in the idyllic waters around the Seychelles in almost 50 years.
The islands are a popular destination for British tourist, including Prince William and Kate, who spent their honeymoon earlier this year on a nearby private island.
According to the BBC, shark experts from South Africa were planning on going to the scene to identify and hopefully catch the shark.
animal news, world news, leanne suter
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- 2 people shot in Reseda, LAPD says 15 min ago
- Indio High students, faculty tested for TB
- Lancaster woman found dead; sons questioned
- Calif. jobless rate continues positive trend
- Helicopter gunships used in MX resort battle
- abcnews: One of Van Gogh's last paintings unveiled
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Understanding symbols on plastic containers
- Bejo's 'Past' character sometimes unlikeable
- OTRC: Beyonce kisses Madonna's daughter (Photo)
- Latest weather with Dallas Raines
5 min ago