Shark kills British man honeymooning in Seychelles
ANSE LAZIO, Seychelles (KABC) -- A shark attack at one of the world's most beautiful beaches ended in tragedy for a British couple on their honeymoon.
Ian Redmond, 30, and his new bride Gemma Houghton, 27, were honeymooning in Anse Lazio, a beach in the north of Praslin Island, Seychelles.
Houghton was sunbathing on the beach and Redmond snorkeling in the crystal blue waters when she heard his frantic cries for help.
Witness pulled him to shore, but it was too late. In an instant, Houghton went from new wife to young widow.
Authorities believe it was a bull shark that attacked Redmond, possibly the same animal that killed a French tourist on the beach just two weeks ago.
The deaths are the first in the idyllic waters around the Seychelles in almost 50 years.
The islands are a popular destination for British tourist, including Prince William and Kate, who spent their honeymoon earlier this year on a nearby private island.
According to the BBC, shark experts from South Africa were planning on going to the scene to identify and hopefully catch the shark.
animal news, world news, leanne suter
- Rizzo gets 12 years in prison for corruption 12 min ago
- 292 missing, 4 dead in S. Korea ferry disaster
- West Adams fire in converted garage injures 4
- Man found tied up, burned on 605 Freeway
- Lake Elsinore man arrested for assault
- Possible 5th victim sought in serial murders
- Teen caught egging homeless woman in Lancaster
- Suspects approach women at UC Riverside dorm
- State audit: Cudahy must repay $22.7 million
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar
- abcnews: 10 most awful jobs for 2014 revealed
- LA Register newspaper takes on digital age
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced 10 min ago
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus hospitalized, cancels concerts