Former Lakers player Javaris Crittenton arrested at John Wayne Airport
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The FBI arrested former Los Angeles Lakers player Javaris Crittenton at John Wayne Airport in Orange County on Monday night
Crittenton was taken into custody at about 8 p.m. after checking in for a Delta Air Lines flight to Atlanta, FBI spokeswoman Laura Eimiller said.
Eimiller said he was arrested without incident by FBI agents serving an arrest warrant with assistance from the Orange County Sheriff's Department.
"We received information over the weekend that he was somewhere in Los Angeles," said Scott Garriola of the FBI. "Starting today we began to look for him seriously and it culminated in the arrest."
Authorities were trying to determine whether Crittenton will make an initial appearance in federal court, or be taken directly to Atlanta to face state charges there.
The 23 year old is wanted in Atlanta in connection with the Aug. 19 shooting death of 22-year-old Jullian Jones, a mother of four. She was killed while walking with two men, one of whom police believe was the intended target.
Atlanta police have already obtained a murder warrant for Crittenton. The FBI's warrant is for unlawful flight to avoid prosecution.
Attorney Brian Steel said earlier Monday that Crittenton planned to surrender to authorities to face charges and would leave Los Angeles to arrive in Atlanta early Tuesday.
Steel says Crittenton is innocent. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution first reported details of the planned surrender.
Crittenton most recently played with the Washington Wizards. The NBA gave him a 38-game suspension after he and teammate Gilbert Arenas acknowledged bringing guns into the locker room.
The Associated Press contributed to this story.
- Whittier standoff with hostage ends peacefully 12 min ago
- S. Korean ferry's slow evacuation probed
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect 8 min ago
- Investigators reenact fatal NorCal bus crash
- Prop 8 lawyer's views on gay marriage changing
- Sriracha owner considers moving plant to TX?
- Tenants receive relocation money from landlord
- Mount Everest avalanche: 6 killed, 9 missing
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- Chelsea Clinton pregnant with 1st child
- Kittens accidentally shipped from LA to SD
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)