Power outages: Thousands still in dark after fierce winds
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Thousands of Southern California residents remained without power on Friday after fierce winds knocked down power lines earlier in the week.
Southern California Edison has restored service to 65 percent of its customers who lost power. As of 4 p.m. Friday, SCE said about 131,591 customers remained without power. The utility expects to have service restored to 99 percent of its customers by 8 p.m. Sunday.
"We understand our customers are anxious to get their lights back on, and we're continuing to ask for their patience," SCE President Ron Litzinger said in a statement released Friday. "The massive winds that hit Wednesday evening have created some of the worst damage we've seen in a decade and resulted in some of the most complicated restoration efforts in years. Thousands of trees blew over, damaging thousands of overhead wires and poles."
Hardest hit areas were:
Also heavily impacted:
Customers can call SCE customer service at (800) 655-4555.
At 10 p.m. Friday, the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power reported about 37,000 customers were still without power. Power has been restored to more than 177,000 customers since extreme winds knocked out power across Los Angeles on Wednesday night.
DWP said 135 crews were working around the clock to restore power, but the estimated duration of power outages was at least 24 to 48 hours from the start of the outage.
Most affected areas:
East Hollywood: 6,300
Los Feliz: 5,000
Highland Park: 9,300
El Sereno: 1,500
Glassell Park: 11,800
Eagle Rock: 2,800
Lincoln Heights: 1,500
Cypress Park: 10,200
Griffith Park: 1,500
Boyle Heights: 3,400
To report an outage in your area, call 1 (800) DIAL-DWP or 1 (800) 342-5397.
Power has been restored to 95 percent of all affected customers in Pasadena, according to Ann Erdman, Pasadena's public information officer. All but 400 electric customers and 150 water customers have service. The customers without service will be restored service within 24 to 36 hours, Erdman said.
power outage, storm, weather
- Ambulance crash: 4 injured in Signal Hill 52 min ago
- S.Korea ferry crew actions were 'murderous'
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- Alleged arsonist Tased by police in Hollywood
- Compton big rig crash leaves woman dead 12 min ago
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- abcnews: Car bursts into flames in lion habitat
- Hyun-Jin Ryu raises money for ferry victims
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role