Los Angeles News
'Survivor' producer to return to Mexico to face trial for wife's murder
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Former "Survivor" producer Bruce Beresford-Redman has decided to return to Mexico voluntarily to face trial for the murder of his wife, according to his attorneys.
This means Beresford-Redman will not be appealing a recent decision by a federal judge in Los Angeles allowing his extradition.
Beresford-Redman is accused in the April 2010 killing of his 41-year-old wife and Palms restaurant owner Monica Burgos, at a resort in Cancun.
In a statement released on Tuesday, Beresford-Redman's attornies said:
"We are disappointed in the court's decision denying our request to prevent the extradition of our client, Bruce Beresford-Redman...After consultation with him, Bruce has decided not to appeal the decision and to return to Mexico and defend himself on the charges. He is innocent and it is his hope that the court in Mexico will assure that he receives a fair trial in which, he is confident, he will be exonerated."
"We are happy that finally the case will move to Mexico and we will get justice for my sister," said Monica's sister, Carla Burgos, Tuesday.
Beresford-Redman, 40, is charged in the state of Quintana Roo with aggravated homicide in the death of Burgos, his wife of 11 years. Her nude, beaten body was found at a Cancun resort three days after her husband reported her missing.
Evidence collected by Mexican authorities allegedly proves Beresford-Redman killed Burgos and dumped her body in a sewer near the room at the hotel where they were staying with their two young children.
The children are in the custody of their paternal grandparents.
City News Service contributed to this story.
homicide investigation, murder, mexico, los angeles news
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- NASA astronauts begin spacewalking repairs
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt 14 min ago
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Jewelry shopping tips: How to avoid rip-offs
- Ned Vizzini, popular author, dies at age 32
- OTRC: 13 Best TV Shows of 2013 (with spoilers)
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
5 min ago