Los Angeles News
'Survivor' producer to return to Mexico to face trial for wife's murder
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Former "Survivor" producer Bruce Beresford-Redman has decided to return to Mexico voluntarily to face trial for the murder of his wife, according to his attorneys.
This means Beresford-Redman will not be appealing a recent decision by a federal judge in Los Angeles allowing his extradition.
Beresford-Redman is accused in the April 2010 killing of his 41-year-old wife and Palms restaurant owner Monica Burgos, at a resort in Cancun.
In a statement released on Tuesday, Beresford-Redman's attornies said:
"We are disappointed in the court's decision denying our request to prevent the extradition of our client, Bruce Beresford-Redman...After consultation with him, Bruce has decided not to appeal the decision and to return to Mexico and defend himself on the charges. He is innocent and it is his hope that the court in Mexico will assure that he receives a fair trial in which, he is confident, he will be exonerated."
"We are happy that finally the case will move to Mexico and we will get justice for my sister," said Monica's sister, Carla Burgos, Tuesday.
Beresford-Redman, 40, is charged in the state of Quintana Roo with aggravated homicide in the death of Burgos, his wife of 11 years. Her nude, beaten body was found at a Cancun resort three days after her husband reported her missing.
Evidence collected by Mexican authorities allegedly proves Beresford-Redman killed Burgos and dumped her body in a sewer near the room at the hotel where they were staying with their two young children.
The children are in the custody of their paternal grandparents.
City News Service contributed to this story.
homicide investigation, murder, mexico, los angeles news
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins 23 min ago
- Roommate arrested in Westmont homicide
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait 3 min ago
- Coach pleads no contest to molesting girls 54 min ago
- Missing hiker rescued in Santa Clarita canyon
- LAPD crash: Funeral services announced 25 min ago
- Portion of 405 South to close for 2 nights
- 5 measles cases in Orange County confirmed
- CVS allegedly lost track of 37K painkillers
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested 47 min ago
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Keith Richards releasing children's book