Los Angeles News
Body found off Palos Verdes coast confirmed as missing diver Rebecca Weiss
RANCHO PALOS VERDES, Calif. (KABC) -- The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said a body was recovered off the coast of Palos Verdes Saturday near to where a diver went missing a week ago. The L.A. County Coroner's Office confirmed Saturday night the recovered body is Rebecca Weiss.
Recreational divers discovered the body off the coast Saturday morning near the Terranea Resort in Rancho Palos Verdes in the general area where 50-year-old Rebecca Weiss disappeared last week.
The divers notified authorities and sheriff's department divers recovered the body at about 11:30 a.m. The body had snorkeling gear and was wearing a wetsuit.
An autopsy was scheduled for next week.
Weiss was reported missing Saturday, Aug. 11, by her husband, Alan Weiss. He told authorities that she left their home in Marina del Rey en route to Rancho Palos Verdes, where she planned to do some diving.
When she did not return, he drove to her favorite beach and found her abandoned SUV with her diving equipment in a parking lot near the shoreline.
Friday, investigators were back out searching for clues and reviewed video from surveillance cameras at the Terranea Resort, which sits atop the beach where Weiss reportedly planned to go snorkeling.
missing person, los angeles news, melissa macbride
- Malaysia missing jet may have turned back
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- 2 persons of interest sought in LB attack
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash
- Stage collapse reported at Servite High School
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- Obama to preserve California federal lands
- abcnews: Teens save man stuck in sewer
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video