Orange County News
Knott's ride WindSeeker breaks down, leaves riders stranded
BUENA PARK, Calif. (KABC) -- Twenty people were lowered to safety after being stranded hundreds of feet above the ground for hours Wednesday when the Knott's Berry Farm ride they were on apparently malfunctioned.
WindSeeker, a 32 two-person-gondola attraction that ascends to a height of 301 feet, stopped swinging mid-ride at about 4 p.m. when the safety security system activated, Knott's said in a statement. It was not clear what triggered the safety mechanism.
The ride was lowered and riders were safely deposited on the ground by about 7:50 p.m.
A spokeswoman for the amusement park said no medical emergencies were reported.
The park closed at 6 p.m. Loved ones began to show up for the stranded passengers.
"It was quite an experience," said Donna Garrison, one of the riders who was visiting from Baltimore, Maryland. "The first half an hour was pretty rough on me. I have a fear of heights. I was on it because my husband wanted to train me to get over my fear of heights. By the end, I was."
The same attraction broke down Sept. 7, leaving riders stuck for several hours.
The Orange County Fire Authority said they had not been called about the matter Wednesday. They had not been called when the ride malfunctioned the first time in September.
WindSeeker opened to the public Aug. 24. Its metal arms swings riders for 60-seconds at a 45 degree angle at a speed of eight rotations per minute, according to Knott's website.
"Safety is Knott's number one priority and we are committed to the protection of all our guests," Knott's said in a statement. "Each of our rides is inspected, check-listed and properly maintained daily. Knott's will continue to consistently monitor and inspect the rides and operation thereof."
The attraction will stay closed while Knott's investigates the cause of the incident.
orange county news
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Westlake High coach accused of sex with teen
- SKorea ferry accident: 10 more bodies pulled
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- Orange County carport collapses; no one hurt
- East Hollywood fire: Garage heavily damaged
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal
- Free admission offered to all national parks
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- 13th body pulled following Everest avalanche
- Documents detail another delayed GM recall
- Mickey Rooney buried at Hollywood Forever
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour