GM recalls some sedans, SUVs over possible fuel leak
DETROIT (KABC) -- General Motors announced a recall of 40,859 vehicles Saturday due to a potential fuel leak. The recall was issued for cars sold in warm-weather states.
GM is recalling Pontiac G5 and Chevrolet Cobalt sedans (2007-2009 model years); Saturn Ion sedans (2007 model year); and Chevrolet Equinox and Pontiac Torrent SUVs (2007 model year).
The recall was issued for those vehicles sold or currently registered in Arizona, California, Florida, Nevada and Texas. Arkansas and Oklahoma is also included in the Cobalt and G5 recalls.
Plastic parts connected to the fuel pump could crack in heat, causing a fuel leak and potential fire.
GM says there have been no reports of fires or injuries related to the defect. The company began investigating the issue in 2011 after a dealer reported fuel leaking from some vehicles.
GM says its warranty data indicates that the problem is far more common in warm-weather states. It will repair the vehicles for free in those states. Owners will be notified of the recall by mail.
But the company also plans to send letters to owners in other states offering a free repair within a limited time period if the parts are cracked. That offer is valid for 10 years or 120,000 miles from the date the vehicle was sold, spokesman Alan Adler said.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- LAPD cop car crash: 1 officer dead, 1 injured 22 min ago
- Smoke detectors crucial to avoid fire deaths 47 min ago
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood
- 2 dead in apparent Long Beach murder-suicide
- Baldwin Hills natural gas leak: Repairs done
- Beverly Hills High School gunman threat false
- Bitcoin mystery: CA man denies being creator
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege 1 min ago
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February
- Pistorius told guard 'everything is fine'
- Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)