GM recalls some sedans, SUVs over possible fuel leak
DETROIT (KABC) -- General Motors announced a recall of 40,859 vehicles Saturday due to a potential fuel leak. The recall was issued for cars sold in warm-weather states.
GM is recalling Pontiac G5 and Chevrolet Cobalt sedans (2007-2009 model years); Saturn Ion sedans (2007 model year); and Chevrolet Equinox and Pontiac Torrent SUVs (2007 model year).
The recall was issued for those vehicles sold or currently registered in Arizona, California, Florida, Nevada and Texas. Arkansas and Oklahoma is also included in the Cobalt and G5 recalls.
Plastic parts connected to the fuel pump could crack in heat, causing a fuel leak and potential fire.
GM says there have been no reports of fires or injuries related to the defect. The company began investigating the issue in 2011 after a dealer reported fuel leaking from some vehicles.
GM says its warranty data indicates that the problem is far more common in warm-weather states. It will repair the vehicles for free in those states. Owners will be notified of the recall by mail.
But the company also plans to send letters to owners in other states offering a free repair within a limited time period if the parts are cracked. That offer is valid for 10 years or 120,000 miles from the date the vehicle was sold, spokesman Alan Adler said.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment 21 min ago
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- MoneyGram scam victims receive refund checks
- Woman shot to death in Long Beach; no arrests 57 min ago
- Venice boardwalk crash victims recount ordeal
- Proposed power plant splits Palmdale, Lancaster
- LAX suspect indicted on 1st-degree murder
- Man kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Reporter rejects Toronto mayor's apology
- Colorado school shooter wrote plan on arm
- abcnews: Father, daughter recreate wedding photos
- Timberlake helps fan propose to girlfriend
- Photos: Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts at 'August' debut
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
51 min ago
- Illinois students spread joy w/ Dial-a -Carol
52 min ago