Young girl dies during dental procedure
RIVERSIDE (KABC) -- A trip to the dentist turns into a tragedy for the Maritnez family. Their 7-year-old daughter went in for a toothache and ended up brain dead.
"She was daddy's girl, she was extremely special," said, Tony Martinez, father.
Tony Martinez is grieving for his daughter Jackie. She had been complaining of a toothache so her family took her to the dentist.
The dentist at New Smiles in Riverside decided that extracting the molar was the best way to fight an infection.
Jackie's mother, with her other children, were in the waiting room when they heard her cry out.
The next thing she knew, she was called in to help. Jackie on the floor, getting CPR. The dentist said the molar had been dropped at the same time Jackie gulped for air.
"For some reason when she inhaled the molar went down inside her lungs, inside her windpipe," said Tony Martinez.
New Smiles in Riverside is operated by Dr. Joseph Trinh. The attending dentist that was taking care of Jackie was Dr. Thien Luong.
Their attorney told Eyewitness News that Dr. Trinh and Dr. Luong express their deepest sympathy for this unfortunate and tragic event. "Their thoughts and prayers are with the Martinez family."
Jackie was declared brain dead at Loma Linda Hospital.
Her father says that they took her off life support on Sunday so her organs could be donated.
An autopsy will be conducted to determine the cause of death.
Neither Dr. Trinh and Dr. Luong have any record of any disciplinary action, according to the California Dental Board.
local, miriam hernandez
- Man high on meth terrorizes Covina family
- 4 stabbed at Fullerton bar; suspects sought
- IE pastor accused of paying boys for sex acts
- Malaysia asks countries for data to find jet
- Santa Monica building fire leaves 5 people hurt
- Santa Ana crash leaves man critically injured
- Male remains found in Gorman - investigators
- Some CA cities seek water independence
- abcnews: Delta plane loses part of wing mid-air
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession
- Chile earthquake: Magnitude-6.7 hits north coast
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios for $32 million
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' top box office
- Photos: Billboard's 25 highest-paid musicians