ABC7 On Your Side
ABC7 On Your Side: Free museums
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- There are some perfect places to spend a day without breaking the bank -- or even spending a dime, for that matter. When people think of fun free things to do in Southern California, the beach, the mountains and bike riding all come to mind.
Museums may not be the first places we think of, but you don't have to love ancient history or fine art to appreciate them, and they can be great fun for the whole family. Many never charge a dime, while others offer free admission days once a week or once a month.
It's getting tougher to make ends meet these days, and ABC7 On Your Side is a campaign to help you save money. Watch Eyewitness News for money-saving tips and freebies to help stretch your dollar.
For the science and tech buff, the California Science Center features hands-on exhibits. It's geared for all ages, and it's always free.
Want to learn about Los Angeles during the Ice Age? Check out the George C. Page Museum at the La Brea Tar Pits, which is free the first Tuesday of the month.
You can explore the Ming Dynasty for free at the Pacific Asia Museum in Pasadena, which is free to all on the fourth Friday of the month.
Home to many bizarre relics, the Museum of Jurassic Technology in Culver City doesn't cost anything to get in, but they do request donations.
The Getty Center in Los Angeles and the Getty Villa in Malibu are two world class museums. Once inside, you can spend a few hours - or all day - enjoying the art and the plush gardens at both locations. While they don't charge admission to get in, both museums charge $8 to park. But you can take public transportation to both places and avoid the parking fee. For the Getty Villa, you do need to make advance reservations to get in, but there's no charge for doing so.
There are several more museums that offer free admission days:
- Museum of Neon Art
Admission is free on the first Tuesday of every month; 2nd Thursday of each month, free neon demonstrations
- Natural History Museum of Los Angeles
Free admission on the first Tuesday of each month
- Hammer Museum
Free on Thursdays
- Japanese American National Museum
Free general admission every Thursday from 5 to 8 p.m. and every third Thursday of the month
- California African American Museum
- Museum of Latin American Art - Long Beach
Free every Friday
- Skirball Cultural Center
Free on Thursday, free parking
- Autry National Center
Free 2nd Tuesday of every month
- Kidspace Children's Museum
Free Family Night is from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. on the first Tuesday of every month
- Long Beach Museum of Art
Free on Friday
- The Huntington
Admission to The Huntington Library, Art Collections, and Botanical Gardens is free to all visitors on the first Thursday of every month with advanced tickets. Hours on Free Day are 10:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
abc7 on your side, ric romero
- LA supervisors criticize Baca amid jail probe
- UC Riverside employee diagnosed w/ meningitis
- Bipartisan negotiators reach modest budget deal
- FBI arrest several alleged MS-13 gang members
- $50K reward announced in murder of 7-year-old
- Man burns to death, may have been stealing gas
- Bell moving forward after Spaccia conviction
- Auto thefts up in CA after realignment -study
- SD man charged in 'revenge porn' site case
- Eastern snowstorm brings closures, delays
- abcnews: Alleged cow abuse at DiGiorno supplier
- US Navy sailor surprises family on ABC comedy
- Gabor Xmas party to go on amid spending fight
- OTRC: Kate Winslet, Ned RocknRoll welcome baby