Turkey dinners for low-income families
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- It's been a day of giving around the Southland. More than 5,000 turkeys were handed out to low-income families in South L.A. Tuesday. And hundreds of needy children and their families are served Thanksgiving dinner.
For nearly 25 years Jackson Limousine Service has given out turkey dinners, and the need has grown more than ever. Last year, according to the owner, they handed out 5,000 turkey dinners; this year, double that.
"We do it because it's the thing to do, people need help," said E.J. Jackson, Jackson Limousine Service. "We're just trying to show all walks of life that people are working together and making people happy, that it can be done, and it's being done."
The first turkeys were handed out at 8 a.m. Tuesday, but hours before that there were already hundreds of people in line.
"I waited here since 4 o'clock in the morning, some people waited since 3 o'clock, some people 1 o'clock, because it's very important for everybody in this time," said Consuelo Escobar.
"It's going to make a tremendous difference in my Thanksgiving because I'm not fortunate to go out and buy my own groceries. So I was in line to get groceries for me and my daughter to have a nice Thanksgiving," said Nykea Young.
Jackson Limousine Service picks up most of the tab for this giveaway. The rest comes from local business people and volunteers who simply want to give back to the community.
"It's a great feeling," said volunteer Yung Kim. "Basically right now you have an opportunity to give back. There's a lot of people that are in need. Having them have an opportunity for a nice Thanksgiving just makes you feel good."
There was a lot of hard work and nobody was complaining. Thanksgiving dinner for 600 kids and their families were scheduled to be served Tuesday night, courtesy of the organization Para Los Ninos.
- Get more local news headlines from Los Angeles
- Have a news tip? Send your tips, video, or pictures
los angeles, sid garcia
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed 24 min ago
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- abcnews: Dog helps Army vet overcome PTSD 43 min ago
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
39 min ago