Save Money / Consumer News
Best LCD TVs for small spaces
LCD sets may come in small sizes, but sometimes with big price tags. Some 32-inch sets sell for more than $1,000. ABC7 teamed up with Consumer Reports to test 17 of the smaller size sets to find a good choice for you.
The smaller TVs cost a lot less than the big ones. A 52-inch set can run about $2,700, while a 26-inch set goes for $600.
Consumer Reports' Caroline Somera, who's tested hundreds of sets, says a small screen doesn't mean an inferior picture.
"Many of the 32- and 26-inch sets that we've tested can deliver excellent high-definition picture quality," said Somera.
Some of the smaller sets Consumer Reports tested are 1080p, which can display all the details in a high-definition signal. But they tend to be pricey.<p "Unless you're going to use the set as a computer monitor also, 1080p is not important with the smaller sets," says Somera.
When all the testing was done, Consumer Reports gave the Panasonic TC-26LX85 26-inch LCD HDTV the top grade among 26-inch sets. The Panasonic costs about $550 and has a wider viewing angle than many other LCDs, so it's easy to see from the side.
Once you buy a flat-screen TV, what are the odds you'll need repairs anytime soon? Consumer Reports says its research center's survey covering more than 168,000 LCD and plasma TVs bought in the last three years shows they've required very few repairs.
- Get more L.A. breaking news, weather, traffic and sports
- Have a news tip? Send your tips, video, or pictures
save money / consumer news, ric romero
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- Temecula man arrested in drug sales bust
- Pomona man hurt in shooting; suspect sought
- 2 pedestrians struck, killed on Norwalk street
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean 37 min ago
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- Photos: Aaron Paul, wife at 'Need For Speed' premiere