Fighting figure killed in Ferrari crash
NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- The man killed in the fatal Ferrari crash in the O.C. has been identified.
The man killed in the high-speed crash of a $300,000 Ferrari in the O.C. has been identified as Charles "Mask" Lewis, an extreme-fighting industry figure.
Police say the Ferrari apparently collided with a Porsche and spun out of control. The driver of the Porsche was arrested after the fatal accident Wednesday morning.
Police said the 2004 Ferrari Modena may have been racing the 1977 Porsche when the Ferrari lost control and slammed into a power pole just before 1 a.m.
A police officer actually witnessed the crash and said both cars were driving out of control on Jamboree Road near Camelback Street. The officer said the Ferrari was already skidding out of control when he was driving the other way. The officer said he also saw a white Porsche spinning down the street.
The Ferrari hit a curb and knocked out a power pole, shearing the car in half. The officer said he saw the white Porsche spin out of control and come to rest, but then sped away before the officer was able to get to the scene.
A woman believed to be a passenger in the Ferrari was injured and taken to a local hospital. She is in stable condition.
Police stopped the Porsche around the corner on Bison and arrested the driver, identified as 51-year-old Jeffrey Kirby of Costa Mesa, for gross vehicular manslaughter. His female passenger was also arrested, but on a lesser charge of public intoxication.
Police have not determined how fast the Ferrari was traveling, but the car is capable of speeds over 200 miles per hour.
While police believe they were going fast, they are not able to determine whether the two cars were racing because the officer did not see that.
All southbound lanes of Jamboree were closed until noon.
The driver of the Porsche is being held on $1 million bail.
MORE LOCAL HEADLINES FROM ORANGE COUNTY
SEND TIP || REPORT TYPO || TWEET @abc7 || WIDGET
orange county, gene gleeson
- Man allegedly shoots, kills sister, wife
- Ex-con allegedly attacked 2 relatives, friend
- Santa Ana jewelry store robbery caught on cam
- Pope Francis named Time's Person of the Year 20 min ago
- Man arrested in 'revenge porn' website case
- Bell moving forward after Spaccia conviction
- Kaiser Permanente missing info on 49K patients 36 min ago
- House GOP signal support for budget deal 38 min ago
- abcnews: Woman claws way out of locked bathroom
- Nelson Mandela mourners pay last respects
- Mega Millions jackpot to soar to $400 million
- Paul Walker crash: 2nd theft suspect surrenders
- SAG Awards: '12 Years a Slave' leads noms 18 min ago
- OTRC: 'Terminator' reboot: Jason Clarke in talks 54 min ago