USC frat suspended after alleged assaults
LOS ANGELES, Calif. (KABC) -- A University of Southern California fraternity is on suspension as police investigate allegations that three women were sexually assaulted at a party at the fraternity house early Wednesday morning.
Los Angeles Police Department Captain Denis Cremins says a 19-year-old student told investigators she attended a party at the Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity house on the 700 block of 28th Street near campus Tuesday night where she drank punch. At some point, the victim said she blacked out and woke up several hours later partially unclothed.
The woman told police she believes she was sexually assaulted.
Police suspect the punch contained some sort intoxicant.
Cameron Kay, president of the USC chapter of Lambda Chi Alpha, has not commented on the investigation, but USC officials have issued a campus crime alert.
"USC takes sexual assaults very seriously and is fully cooperating with the LAPD on the investigation," Michael L. Jackson, USC Vice President of Student Affairs, said in a statement. "We are reaching out to the students and providing as much help as possible. We are also conducting our own investigation into student conduct issues and have placed the Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity on interim suspension until all the facts are known."
LAPD investigators say they have talked to one apparent victim and they are looking into whether or not there could be others.
"She's the only one that has been reported at this time," said Cremins. "We're certainly entertaining the possibility there may have been other victims and that's why we're appealing to the public, that if you were at this party and you saw anything that was consistent with the sexual assault, or if you yourself were sexually assaulted, we need to get your information and to come forward."
Detectives say anyone who can help with the investigation should call (877) LAPD 24-7, (877-527-3247).
MORE LOCAL HEADLINES FROM LOS ANGELES
SEND TIP || REPORT TYPO || TWEET @abc7 || WIDGET
- Pedestrian hit, killed on I-5 in Downey area
- 2 dead after car plows through SXSW crowd
- NYC explosion kills 7; rescuers resume search
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting
- 2 sought for stealing purses at Bell salons
- Indecent exposure suspect sought in Irvine
- Bell trial: Rizzo's sentencing postponed
- Body of man found at Montebello parking lot
- Colorado River Board of CA discusses drought
- Malaysia plane search widens into Andaman Sea 34 min ago
- abcnews: Amazon accused of cheating on free shipping
- Soldier pops out of box, surprises daughter
- Chris Pine arrested for DUI in New Zealand
- OTRC: Kim Kardashian wears sister Kylie's bikini
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
52 min ago