Los Angeles News
Coffee shop baristas work in bikinis
TORRANCE, Calif. (KABC) -- A brand new espresso drive-thru in Torrance is drawing plenty of interest, all thanks to the fact it's staffed by bikini-clad baristas.
In the cutthroat coffee house business, new companies need an edge. This Torrance coffee shop may have found it.
- Video: Bikini-clad baristas serve it hot
- More: Most Popular stories, videos and more
- More: Get breaking news alerts
"It has been a lot of fun," said barista Chelsea Turnbo. "The customers here are all very different. We have old ladies all the way to young men. They have all been very sweet and very supportive. It has been a lot of fun."
It is not surprising a lot more men than women stand in line for coffee. But in the few days that Bikini Espresso has been open, sales have taken off.
"We are two blocks from the beach, so basically we are bringing the beach closer to the people," said Gary Gillete from Bikini Espresso.
While bikinis are all part of the business plan, customers say the coffee is pretty good.
"It is good," said customer Juliet Nimfa Peray. "We tried it after we got it, and it is good."
"It is actually really good," said customer Mike Sullivan. "I recommend it to everyone in the local area. They should come by and check it out."
But even a great cup of coffee is not enough to cool some critics. There is also the problem of the customers who like the bikini-clad baristas a little too much.
"Those guys you just have to shake off. You've got to laugh at them," laughs Turnbo. "I tell them that the difference is, 'I am not a stripper.' I am just here working and doing my job."
When baring your belly in a bikini, it comes with the territory. But so do the tips, and these employees say that makes taking it off a whole lot easier.
los angeles news, john gregory
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- Fatal South LA fire determined suspicious
- Calif. bill would ban orcas in SeaWorld shows
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- abcnews: Meat contaminated w/ LSD sickens family
- Florida mom charged with attempted murder
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Former NFL player Sharper to stay in jail
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- Photos: Aaron Paul, wife at 'Need For Speed' premiere