Los Angeles News
Brush fire in Eagle Rock/Glendale area
EAGLE ROCK, Calif. (KABC) -- A brush was burning near the 134 Freeway at the 2 in the Eagle Rock/Glendale area.
The fire was threatening roughly 25 homes in the Glenoaks area of Glendale, but by 8 p.m. fire officials said the homes were no longer in danger. Fire officials said it was 90 percent contained and burned about 60 acres as of 11 p.m. Tuesday night.
- Photos: Brush fire in Eagle Rock
- More: Most Popular stories, videos and more
- More: Get breaking news alerts
Voluntary evacuations were in effect for about two hours for the 2100 to 2300 blocks of Glenoaks Boulevard and along adjacent streets. An evacuation center was set up at the Glendale Civic Auditorium at 1401 N. Verdugo Road.
The fire was reported at about 4:10 p.m. Tuesday.
About 300 firefighters were on the scene and at least five helicopters were making water-dropping runs.
Fire started near the 134 Freeway in Eagle Rock then raced up the hillside above a neighborhood in Glendale. The fire was upgraded to a second alarm at 4:45 p.m.
As many as four spot fires broke out all within about a 10-minute timeframe. A small grass fire was knocked down very quickly by firefighters, then three other spot fires erupted.
The cause of those fires is under investigation.
Crews from L.A. City, L.A. County, Glendale, Burbank and Pasadena fire departments were aggressively fighting the blaze.
The west 134 connector ramp to both sides of the Glendale (2) Freeway were blocked, causing a major back up on the westbound 134. By 8 p.m. the roads appeared to have cleared up significantly.
No homes were damaged and no injuries were reported.
los angeles news
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Child welfare system 'in crisis': Commission
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- Funeral held for LAPD Officer Chris Cortijo
- OC school band chosen to march in Rose Parade
- Reward offered in Long Beach pelican attack
- 'Mother Ditch' uncovered near downtown LA
- SD police guns stolen during LA charity game
- abcnews: Man accused of killing teens who entered home
- South Korea ferry accident death toll now 135
- Aereo case: Justices skeptical, concerned
- Epilepsy treatment uses laser to stop seizures
- Zadan, Meron to produce Oscars for 3rd year
- OTRC: Drew Barrymore gives birth to baby No. 2