Orange County News
Man arrested for abuse after boy's death
GARDEN GROVE, Calif. (KABC) -- A father from Orange County is dealing with the death of his young son while the mother's boyfriend is in custody in connection with the death.
Chau Le flips through photos of his 2-year-old son, Fox, from last week, the last trip they would take together to the beach.
"My son was so wonderful. He was such a joyful kid," says Le.
Fox died Friday, at the hospital after police received a call to the boy's home in Garden Grove.
"When the officers arrived, they found a 2-year-old, with his face covered in blood," said Lt. Travis Whitman, Garden Grove Police Department.
The exact cause of death has not yet been released, but police arrested 27-year-old Lae Thongphun for child abuse. He is the boyfriend of the child's mother, who investigators allege was caring for him at the time.
Police say the boy's mother Marykay Concepcion is also under investigation.
She had full custody. Le had visitation rights.
He says he noticed bruises on his son before, but could never get a straight answer.
"Yeah, he would always just say that he fell," says Le.
Le's 4-year-old daughter is now in protective custody.
As he prepares to bury his son, he worries how he will pay for his funeral.
"I just hope justice prevails," says Le.
Thongphun remains in custody, his bail set at $1 million.
orange county news, eileen frere
- Malaysian PM: Jet's disappearance deliberate
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Brush fire burns near Gorman by Quail Lake
- OC 'flasher' suspect captured in San Diego
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- Fatal 210 shooting likely sparked by road rage
- Man who hoarded snakes in OC home charged
- Pistorius photographed in bloodied prosthetics
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Crimea vote won't be recognized by US - Kerry
- Baby gorilla born through rare C-section
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)