Los Angeles News
4 killed after Palmdale car accident
PALMDALE, Calif. (KABC) -- Four young people are dead Monday morning after a car accident near the Palmdale airport. They were heading to a party in a convertible, when they ran a stop sign and was broadsided by a Cadillac.
Saturday night around 10:30, a stretch of blackened highway in Palmdale became the death of the victims.
Their car was smashed at a collision, and 18-year-old Rylan Jernigan, 19-year-old Araceli Alvarez, 22-year-old Stephen Nubani and 22-year-old Cesar Chunga all tragically died from the impact.
Saturday night, family members of the victims were at the scene. There are no words to describe their grief.
The California Highway Patrol reports the Audi A4 blew through the stop sign at 70th Street East and Avenue N heading north. When it was broadsided by the Cadillac headed east, they say the impact was so hard that both vehicles smashed into each to her, flipped over and landed in a field.
Officials say that two of the victims in the Audi A4 were thrown from the car. All four victims in that car were killed.
Officials say the victim in the Cadillac suffered major injuries and had to be airlifted to the hospital.
"They were on their way to a party and ran a stop sign and got hit. Car flipped over," says Talia Rodriguez, a close friend of Cesar Chunga.
"I love him so much and now he's not here," says Rodriguez in tears.
"It could've been any of our kids you know? It doesn't really matter whose child it is, it's just someone's child and you just think about the pain of the parents." Says Rosa Mendoza of Palmdale.
CHP officials say 22-year-old Nubani was the driver of the Audi, and it's unclear at this point why the young man ran the stop sign. CHP investigators say this stretch of highway isn't known to be dangerous.
A makeshift memorial placed at the scene is chilling, as friends visit in utter anguish and numbing sorrow.
los angeles news, leo stallworth
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- Temple City man denies creating Bitcoin 2 min ago
- IE cross memorial removed after complaints
- OC man arrested for pot brownie sales to kids
- Oxnard hit-and-run victim in critical condition
- CSULB researchers launch 'Kelp Watch 2014'
- Dodger lot beating: federal gun indictments
- Drunk gambler sues LV casino following loss
- Baby rescued on FL freeway home from hospital
- Obama: West won't let Kremlin carve up Ukraine
- abcnews: Charges filed in missing nursing student case
- Factors that may lead to Alzheimer's disease
- Justin Bieber's urine test video released
- OTRC: Angelina Jolie talks 'Maleficent,' daughter