Orange County News
Sweepstakes scam in Orange County
Authorities are warning people in Orange County to be on the lookout for a possible sweepstakes scam.
Two Laguna Woods residents reported getting letters saying they had won more than $100,000 in a sweepstakes drawing.
The letters contained checks to pay part of the thousands of dollars in taxes required to claim the prizes. The supposed winners were told to contact claims agents to activate those checks. The letters also said the winners would need to send in a money order to pay a fee for the taxes. However when a call was placed to the phone number listed there was no answer.
Neither of the residents who reported getting the letters mailed in any money.
Lt. Bill Griffin of the Orange County Sheriff's Department tells the Orange County Register the letters are absolutely a scam.
orange county news
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins 55 min ago
- Roommate arrested in Westmont homicide
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait 35 min ago
- Coach pleads no contest to molesting girls
- Missing hiker rescued in Santa Clarita canyon
- LAPD crash: Funeral services announced 57 min ago
- Portion of 405 South to close for 2 nights
- 5 measles cases in Orange County confirmed
- CVS allegedly lost track of 37K painkillers
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Keith Richards releasing children's book
- Lose weight playing video games, study says
19 min ago