Treasure Box: Big box of food for small cash
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Experts tell us the economy appears to be on the mend, but that doesn't mean that everyone is feeling flush. So one organization is reaching out to those who can't qualify for aid, yet are still in a cash pinch. Here's how a "Treasure Box" can help.
Like many in Southern California, Yvonne Faust is having a tough time making ends meet.
"Yeah, we got real excited about it when we saw the menu online and we ended up buying two boxes," said Faust.
An organization called The Treasure Box is helping her family and many others to eat well.
"Frozen food delivered once a month in a box, and it does vary and change month to month, the menu," said Debbie Funk, a churchgoer at Saddleback Church in Irvine.
Treasure Box provides 25 pounds of food that will feed a family of four lunch and dinner for a week, or lunch and dinner for one person for a month.
In the box is a variety of frozen foods like fish, beef, chicken and turkey, some mixed entrees and vegetables.
Every month the contents change. This month it has chicken nuggets for the kids, even dessert.
A box of food like this would cost anywhere from $65 to $100 if purchased at the market, but Treasure Box partners with food manufacturers so it is only $30.
"We're doing it through churches and community outreach organizations who are our distribution points," said Marianne Richards, regional manager of The Treasure Box.
For the past 20 years, the parent company, Good Source Solutions, has provided food to government feeding programs and nonprofit organizations, so they extended the offerings to the general public through churches and other organizations.
What's especially nice about this service is there are no income qualifications, restrictions or limits. Anyone is eligible to get a Treasure Box.
"There's a lot of assistance for people that are struggling, but the people in the middle have nowhere to go," said Richards.
With Treasure Box, you can buy as many boxes as you want. You can give one away to someone in need for $30. What can you do for $30?
Currently The Treasure Box has 160 operations in Southern California and Arizona, expanding into Northern California and the Southwest.
The way to get a Treasure Box is to order online or call a nearby Treasure Box site.
The deadline for this month is Sunday, January 17, for pick-up on Saturday, Jan. 30.
The Treasure Box also offers a "quick and healthy" box, and a "hearty protein" box. The company also has a link to make easy recipes out of the foods contained in the box as well.
Visit www.thetreasurebox.org for more ordering information.
food coach, lori corbin
- Jameis Winston won't be charged in rape case
- Fast food workers protest, demand $15 an hour 37 min ago
- US teacher killed in Benghazi: officials
- Cold snap moving across Southern California
- Montebello remains are not human - coroner
- 2 deputies OK after crash on West 105 Freeway
- IE basketball coach accused of sexual misconduct 22 min ago
- The Game raises money for family of slain boy
- Idaho school bus crash: 1 child killed, 4 hurt
- abcnews: Teen saved after swallowing magnets
- Manhattan Toy Quixel baby rattles recalled
- Identical triplets born to Sacramento couple
- Banksy 'Flower Girl' could fetch up to $300K
- OTRC: 'The Amazing Spider-Man 2' official trailer
- Pet of the Week: Female Corgi mix named Brie
35 min ago