Councilman Kellar under fire for 'racist' comment
SANTA CLARITA, Calif. (KABC) -- A Santa Clarita city councilman is under fire over the alleged racist remarks he made during a recent anti-immigration rally.
"I find it disappointing that people would want to call Bob Kellar as racist," said Santa Clarita City Councilman Bob Kellar. "Clearly they don't have a clue who I am."
Kellar is under fire for what he said at an anti-illegal immigration rally on Jan. 16.
He quoted President Teddy Roosevelt, who said, "One flag, one language" -- a statement that he said he made at a city council meeting a couple of years ago.
In a YouTube video clip Kellar could be seen saying: "The only thing I heard back from people is, 'Bob, you sound like a racist.' I said that's good, if that's what you think I am because I happen to believe in America, I'm a proud racist."
That sparked heated rallies both for and against the councilman before Tuesday night's meeting. It's an issue that has people expressing strong opinions here.
"I think what he said was taken out of context, obviously," said Santa Clarita resident Wesley Kokas. "But it was a very stupid thing to say."
"If he would have said something about African-Americans, people would have begged him right there to step down," said Santa Clarita resident Mayra Reyna.
When asked if he felt he owed anyone an apology over his remarks, Kellar said no. Any regrets?
"The aspect that some words that I may have said have caused anybody to be upset, I think you could probably say I'm not thrilled about that," said Kellar. "Maybe we could go so far to say I regret that aspect. I stand behind my words."
santa clarita valley, politics, sid garcia
- LA earthquake: 4.4-mag. quake shakes SoCal 18 min ago
- Ex-couple found guilty in East LA bank robbery
- IE teen gets 18 months in 'sextortion' plot
- Crimea declares independence; West hits back 30 min ago
- Body found at Anaheim trash center identified
- Burbank couple rescues child with mattress
- Lancaster man hit in deputy-involved shooting
- Actor Chris Pine pleads guilty to DUI 31 min ago
- Man high on meth terrorizes Covina family
- Malaysian plane search expands further
- abcnews: Woman says Scientology tore apart her family
- SEALs take oil tanker from Libyan rebels
- Stooges drummer Scott Asheton dies at 64
- OTRC: 'The Walking Dead' recap: Season 4, ep 14