Councilman Kellar under fire for 'racist' comment
SANTA CLARITA, Calif. (KABC) -- A Santa Clarita city councilman is under fire over the alleged racist remarks he made during a recent anti-immigration rally.
"I find it disappointing that people would want to call Bob Kellar as racist," said Santa Clarita City Councilman Bob Kellar. "Clearly they don't have a clue who I am."
Kellar is under fire for what he said at an anti-illegal immigration rally on Jan. 16.
He quoted President Teddy Roosevelt, who said, "One flag, one language" -- a statement that he said he made at a city council meeting a couple of years ago.
In a YouTube video clip Kellar could be seen saying: "The only thing I heard back from people is, 'Bob, you sound like a racist.' I said that's good, if that's what you think I am because I happen to believe in America, I'm a proud racist."
That sparked heated rallies both for and against the councilman before Tuesday night's meeting. It's an issue that has people expressing strong opinions here.
"I think what he said was taken out of context, obviously," said Santa Clarita resident Wesley Kokas. "But it was a very stupid thing to say."
"If he would have said something about African-Americans, people would have begged him right there to step down," said Santa Clarita resident Mayra Reyna.
When asked if he felt he owed anyone an apology over his remarks, Kellar said no. Any regrets?
"The aspect that some words that I may have said have caused anybody to be upset, I think you could probably say I'm not thrilled about that," said Kellar. "Maybe we could go so far to say I regret that aspect. I stand behind my words."
santa clarita valley, politics, sid garcia
- Mandela death: So. Africa prepares for burial 48 min ago
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Ontario
- Unemployment falls to 7 pct, 203K jobs added
- Girl killed while walking in IE crosswalk
- Los Angeles Co. social workers go on strike
- IE domestic-violence murder suspect at large
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow 11 min ago
- 4 local brothers are all members of LAPD
- UCSB meningitis: Student's legs amputated
- US teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi
- abcnews: Brutal elevator attack shocks Chinese city
- 2015 Ford Mustang still has plenty of muscle
- Man arrested in Paul Walker wreckage theft
- OTRC: Keri Russell, husband Shane Deary separate
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
22 min ago