Orange County News
O.C. Corvette owner killed during test drive
LAGUNA HILLS, Calif. (KABC) -- Authorities said a woman trying to sell her Corvette was killed in an accident during a test drive in Laguna Hills on Wednesday morning.
According to the Orange County Sheriff's Department, the driver, identified as a woman in her late 20s, was the owner of the 2003 Corvette. She was taking a prospective buyer, a 28-year-old man, for a drive to show him how well it handles.
While driving at a high rate of speed southbound on Mill Creek Drive, the woman lost control of the car, hit a curb and crashed into a tree in the 22900 block of Mill Creek Drive at about 8:15 a.m. She was declared dead at the scene.
"It does appear that speed is the primary cause of the accident," said Jim Amormino of the Orange County Sheriff's Department.
The prospective buyer, identified as an adult male, was transported to a hospital with moderate injuries. Officials said he complained of chest pains.
It is unclear how fast the woman was driving, but the speed limit is 30 miles per hour in the area. The impact of the accident almost split the car in two, with most of the damage to the driver's side of the vehicle.
"I've lived at this apartment and condo area for 13 years, I've lived in this whole area for 25 years, never in my life, ever seen on a 30 mile-an-hour street, any car damaged like that," said Cathleen Neuer of Laguna Hills.
The woman's name has not been released, pending notification of next of kin.
accident, orange county news, eileen frere
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- abcnews: Service dog helps girl in surgery 36 min ago
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected
- Local woman receives seizure-treating implant
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
26 min ago