ABC7 Traffic Center
5 South reopens in Burbank after fatal crash
BURBANK, Calif. (KABC) -- A fatal accident shut down the southbound 5 Freeway for hours in Burbank, causing major delays during the Friday morning commute.
Authorities responded to the scene after a small vehicle collided into a big rig at 4:14 a.m. Lanes were closed, and traffic was diverted just north of the Buena Vista Street offramp.
The vehicle became wedged beneath the back of the big rig trailer. The body was removed about three hours after the crash.
Officials said the driver was declared dead at the scene. The name of the victim has not been released.
The Golden State Freeway was expected to be reopened at 7 a.m., but officials had lanes closed until just before 8 a.m. as authorities cleared the accident scene.
The cause of the crash has not yet been determined.
City News Service contributed to this story.
traffic delay, abc7 traffic center
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- Crates of mail found abandoned in Hollywood 23 min ago
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Pro-Russian insurgents ignore diplomatic deal
- Sub scours ocean for missing Malaysian jet
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)