ABC7 Traffic Center
5 South reopens in Burbank after fatal crash
BURBANK, Calif. (KABC) -- A fatal accident shut down the southbound 5 Freeway for hours in Burbank, causing major delays during the Friday morning commute.
Authorities responded to the scene after a small vehicle collided into a big rig at 4:14 a.m. Lanes were closed, and traffic was diverted just north of the Buena Vista Street offramp.
The vehicle became wedged beneath the back of the big rig trailer. The body was removed about three hours after the crash.
Officials said the driver was declared dead at the scene. The name of the victim has not been released.
The Golden State Freeway was expected to be reopened at 7 a.m., but officials had lanes closed until just before 8 a.m. as authorities cleared the accident scene.
The cause of the crash has not yet been determined.
City News Service contributed to this story.
traffic delay, abc7 traffic center
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- Woman gives $500 to friend who's a single mom
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support
- Helicopter gunships used in MX resort battle
- abcnews: One of Van Gogh's last paintings unveiled
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Jewelry shopping tips: How to avoid rip-offs
- Ned Vizzini, popular author, dies at age 32
- OTRC: Beyonce kisses Madonna's daughter (Photo)