Los Angeles News
Chino street gang indicted on drug charges
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A federal indictment, unsealed in Los Angeles on Wednesday, charges 21 members of a Chino street gang with being part of a drug distribution ring with ties to the Mexican Mafia prison gang.
The indictment is the result of a two-year-long investigation known as "Operation Redemption." It targeted members and associates of the "Chino Sinners" street gang.
They are accused of distributing controlled substances, conspiracy to distribute controlled substances and possession of firearms.
"The drug network that we've disrupted today will hopefully make a dent in the violence of this community," FBI Special Agent Bill Lewis said. "The Chino Sinners gang has for decades eroded the quality of life in the city of Chino."
Evidence obtained in the investigation revealed the illegal distribution network reached from San Bernardino County to Riverside and Los Angeles counties.
Investigators also say some of the gang members had established a partnership with members of the Mexican Mafia prison gang to distribute drugs in the state prison system.
More than 200 agents and officers from several federal, local and state agencies executed multiple federal arrest warrants early Wednesday. Several suspects were already in jail on unrelated charges.
gang activity, court case, los angeles news
- Secret Service probe Target security breach
- Fire erupts at strip mall in Hawthorne 3 min ago
- IE man who died in custody was high on PCP
- LA Council speaks on immigration deportations 6 min ago
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- Man convicted at 16 resentenced under new law
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash
- abcnews: DA pushes to jail 'affluenza' teen
- TSA expands Pre-Check screening program in LA 52 min ago
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point
- Electroporation may treat melanoma patients
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Justin Bieber retiring? Manager responds