Save Money / Consumer News
Dishwashers tested to find which clean best
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Today's dishwashers are more energy efficient, but finding one that's good at cleaning, reliable, and affordable isn't easy.
"We surveyed more than 100,000 of our readers who bought a dishwasher within the last five years and found a problem with a big-name brand - LG," said Consumer Reports' Celia Kuperszmid Lehrman.
The survey found that 23 percent of LG dishwashers had repairs.
In its cleaning tests, Consumer Reports found a problem with another dishwasher. To measure cleaning performance, technicians dirtied hundreds of dishes, cups, and cutlery with peanut butter, tomato sauce, and baked-on brownie mix. Then every machine got the same tough load.
Consumer Reports said the Asko D5233XXL dishwasher couldn't always handle it. Seeds from the raspberry preserves used on the dirty dishes often clogged the spray arm and the filter so the dishes didn't come clean.
"That's not what you'd expect from a dishwasher that costs $1,500," said Lehrman, adding that the cleaning cycle runs three hours.
Consumer Reports did find some dishwashers to recommend, including the $800 Bosch SHX43P1UC. It is excellent at cleaning, plus Bosch dishwashers have a good record of reliability.
If you're looking to save a little money, the $650 Kenmore 1374, sold at Sears, is a Consumer Reports best buy. Although it's a little less energy-efficient than the Bosch, it does an excellent job of cleaning. Consumer Reports also found that Kenmore has been a reliable brand.
consumer reports, save money / consumer news, ric romero
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case 37 min ago
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- abcnews: Dog helps Army vet overcome PTSD
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut 59 min ago
- OTRC: Stacy Keibler weds boyfriend Jared Pobre